Tuesday 18 October 2011

Matthew 25, Parable 2: The Three Stewards

This is the second parable in Matthew 25, and it covers the first parable given in Ezekiel 34.  Jesus says, starting in verse 14 of Matthew 25:

"For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.  And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to ever man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.  Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.  And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.  But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money. 

"After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.  And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, 'Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.'  His lord said unto him, 'Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.' 

He also that had received two talents came and said, 'Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.'  His lord said unto him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.'

Then he which had received the one talent came and said, 'Lord, I knew thee that thou art a hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed: and I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.'  His lord answered and said unto him, 'Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed: thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.  Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath then talents.  For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.  And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'"

I want to make it very clear that I believe that, no matter who you are, you can use your talents for the Lord, and receive His blessings in abundance for doing so.  Having said that, I don't believe this parable is applicable to everybody, per se; rather, I believe this parable is specifically directed at the people that have been put in charge of the Lord's household - the pastors.  Jesus says it another way in Luke 12:48, where He says, "unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." 

This goes hand in hand with the first parable in Ezekiel 34:

"And the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, 'Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel, prophesy, and say unto them, 'Thus saith the Lord God unto the shepherds; 'Woe be to the shepherds of Israel that do feed themselves! should not the shepherds feed the flocks?  Ye eat the fat, and ye clothe you with the wool, ye kill them that are fed: but ye feed not the flock.  The diseased have ye not strengthened, neither have ye healed that which was sick, neither have ye bound up that which was broken, neither have ye brought again that which was driven away, neither have ye sought that which was lost; but with force and with cruelty have ye ruled them.  And they were scattered, because there is no shepherd: and they became meat to all the beasts of the field, when they were scattered.  My sheep wandered though all the mountains, and upon every high hill: yea, My flock was scattered upon all the face of the earth, and none did search or seek after them. 

Therefore, ye shepherds, hear the word of the Lord; As I live, saith the Lord God, surely because My flock became a prey, and My flock became meat to every beast of the field, because there was no shepherd, neither did My shepherds search for My flock, but the shepherds fed themselves, and fed not My flock; Therefore, O ye shepherds, hear the word of the Lord;'  Thus saith the Lord God; 'Behold, I am against the shepherds; and I will require My flock at their hand, and cause them to cease from feeding the flock; neither shall the shepherds feed themselves any more; for I will deliver My flock from their mouth, that they may not be meat for them.  For' thus saith the Lord God; 'Behold, I, even I, will both search My sheep, and seek them out. 

As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out My sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.  And I will bring them out from the people, and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land, and feed them upon the mountains of Israel by the rivers, and in all the inhabited places of the country.  I will feed them in a good pasture, and upon the high mountains of Israel shall their fold be: there shall they lie in a good fold, and in a fat pasture shall they feed upon the mountains of Israel.  I will feed My flock, and I will cause them to lie down, saith the Lord God.  I will seek that which was lost, and bring again that which was driven away, and will bind up that which was broken, and will strengthen that which was sick: but I will destroy the fat and the strong; I will feed them with judgment."

This parable in Ezekiel lets you know what the stewards/shepherds are meant to do.  They are meant to ensure the safety and prosperity of the flock.  They are meant to keep the good interest of the flock at heart.  Jesus stressed this to Peter three times in John 21: "if you love Me, feed my sheep."  This causes the flock to increase and become fruitful, just as the good stewards increased the goods that were bestowed to them.  If you have been given talents, use them.  If you have been given goods, use them.  If you have been given a flock, feed them.  All for the glory of God.  God bless.